Monday, December 1, 2008

On leaf blowers

I don't really understand the use of leaf blowers.  It does not seem like a terribly efficient use of time, energy, or fuel -- especially the way that I generally see groundskeeping staff using them.

The first time I ever saw a leaf blower in use was in the second grade, and the school custodian was using it when there were a ton of leaves on the ground, making a final pile at least five feet across and two feet high or so.

This year, in only the past few weeks, I've seen leafblowers being used at least once a week on my way to the lab in the morning, and being used to blow maybe a few handfuls of leaves around.  I'm talking about a final pile that's maybe two feet across and less than a foot high.

This morning, I saw two guys blowing a handful of leaves out from under the bushes in front of the Post Office Museum across the street from Union Station here in DC.

Unbelievable.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Meanwhile, the guys near my clinic hose the leaves off the sidewalk every morning. It could be well below freezing and they'll be out there at seven in the morning with the water running, nodding politely at me as I try to sidestep sheets of ice.

PE_Feeds said...

As a former user of a leafblower (and still has it in his garage in NJ), it's actually fun to use, and the time using it actually isn't so bad. (I also would end up with an approx. 6 by 6 by 6ish pyramid of leaves...)

The trick is, though, to get an ELECTRIC leafblower.