Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hooray, I don't have TB!


Hospitals have a standard pre-employment procedure to administer a brief physical exam and screen for tuberculosis. In many hospitals, this means two separate skin tests (PPD) administered a week apart, and each read 48-72 hours after being placed. My second PPD was placed on Tuesday, and I went in this morning to have it read and also for te physical exam. Conclusions: I don't have TB and my blood pressure is low. Good news and news I don't know what to do with.

Anyway, having passed the physical exam and testing negative for TB, I was issued an ID badge, which looks something like the image to the right. Pam saw it and asked why I wasn't smiling. Really, it's because I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to smile or not, and even still, what Pam, and really most of you all, consider to be a smile is really a grin. In any case, technically, I am smiling in my ID picture. I'm just not grinning. This is just a quick mock-up I made of my badge. Points if you can pick out the things that I added and aren't actually part of the real ID. The read badge itself is simple, straightforward, and made ridiculously cute by the Children's National Medical Center logo.

That's right, it's a teddy bear with a stethoscope.

Orientation is Monday, at 8am.

4 comments:

PE_Feeds said...

hehe, a yellow smiley face

Ashley said...

You should have smiled. Your Cartoon Character visage would have brightened the lives of so many little kiddies.

And I feel your pain regarding the PPD test. My second one was read two days after I got my chemical burn -- I actually stood in front of a mirror and practiced showing the inside of my forearm without exposing the outside before I went to Employee Health!

dwong said...

The way they're supposed to read the PPD is by measuring the size of the bump, if any, and ignore any rash, so you would have been fine if the nurse was competent.

Ashley said...

The problem was that I'm not allowed to do my job with dermatitis -- so if the nurse was competent, I would have been toast!