I've wanted to play around with website development for quite some time now -- I originally started by building a website for my high school newspaper -- but never had enough time and/or money to do so. Often, these shortages would alternate, though most of the time, I would experience shortages of both simultaneously.
Anyway, this morning, I finally sat down and did some research on my own to try and find cheap ways of sustaining this little hobby. I needed a web host, and domain name registration.
Domain name registration has always been pretty cheap, anywhere from $2/yr upward, but typically $8-15/yr, depending on the type of domain, etc. No big deal there.
Hosting, on the other hand, was usually rather expensive, though prices have fallen rather dramatically over the past few years. So much so, in fact, that I managed to find several web hosts offering the type of support I've been looking for, PHP4 /PHP5 as well as Ruby on Rails, for a price that was reasonable, e.g. $5-10/mo. Some even threw in a free domain registration or two.
Having found a decent price for hosting which included a free domain with a 1-year commitment, and a sale on *.info domains, I now have a webhost and the domains danielsenhwong.com and fundingatcolumbiauniversity.info!
* I registered fundingatcolumbiauniversity.info so that i could fulfill a promise to help develop a new Joint Co-sponsorship Application.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You and your promises, hehe. Is the blog getting transferred to dsw.com one of these days, or is that reserved for different content?
ash, i don't think (for show warehouse purposes) that he'll be able to get dsw.com...
i haven't decided whether i will move this blog over there, but i'll definitely have other content over there.
facu - ew.
yeah. remember when we had several multiple-hour meetings to open up the actual facu meeting? remember when the people who argued the hardest in favor had no plan for how to do it, and also never showed up?
Post a Comment